05/09 - 11/01/2009
Jerry Pinkney: Aesop's Fables and Other Tails
Jerry Pinkney: Aesop's Fables and Other Tails features more than 65 original watercolor illustrations and drawings by award-winning artist Jerry Pinkney. The exhibition focuses on Pinkney's delightful portrayals of animals from such well-known Aesop's fables as “The Tortoise and the Hare,” “The Wolf in Sheep's Clothing” and “The Goose and the Golden Egg,” as well as a number of favorite children's stories including “The Ugly Duckling,” “Rikki-Tikki-Tavi,” “Little Red Riding Hood,” “The Tales of Uncle Remus,” and his newest picture book, "The Lion & the Mouse." Since the early 1960s, Pinkney has illustrated more than 100 children's books and received numerous awards, including five Caldecott Honor Medals and five Coretta Scott King Awards. An illustrated catalogue with commentary by the artist on his art and career accompanies this exhibition.
To learn more about Jerry Pinkney and his work, please visit www.jerrypinkneystudio.com.
- Jerry Pinkney, Cover image for The Lion & the Mouse, 2009, pencil, watercolor and colored pencil on paper. Illustration for The Lion & the Mouse, ©Jerry Pinkney, 2009. Published by Little, Brown and Company, 2009.
- Jerry Pinkney, Little Red Riding Hood set out to visit Grandmamma, 2007, pencil, watercolor, gouache and ink on paper. Illustration for Little Red Riding Hood, ©Jerry Pinkney, 2007. Published by Little, Brown and Company, 2007.
- Jerry Pinkney, The Tortoise and the Hare, 2000, pencil and watercolor on paper. Illustration for Aesop’s Fables, ©Jerry Pinkney, 2000. Published by Chronicle Books, 2000.
- Jerry Pinkney, I Never Dreamed of Such Peace, 1999, pencil and watercolor on paper. Illustration for Hans Christian Andersen The Ugly Duckling, ©Jerry Pinkney, 1999. Published by HarperCollins Children’s Books, 1999.
- Jerry Pinkney, Bob Stood and Took Out an Apple, 1998, pencil, watercolor and gouache on paper. Illustration for Julius Lester, Black Cowboy Wild Horses: A True Story ©Jerry Pinkney, 1998. Published by Dial Books for Young Readers, 1998.
- Event Pricing
- Admission: $8.00
- Youth and Family